RESERVING AN ITEM
We are happy to hold items for a period of 24hrs without a deposit..and 14 days with a 20% deposit. If payment is not made within that time frame (unless discussed with management) the items will be returned back into stock and if a deposit has been paid, this will be lost.
If you have chosen to pay by payment plan an initial deposit of 25% is taken and 6 regular payments need to be completed. Failure to pay regularly may see your items returned to stock.
Items that are put on layaway are not subject to any price reduction if your item goes into sale.
PAYMENT BY CHEQUE, BANK/TRANSFER, or OVER THE PHONE
Any orders placed by cheque/bank transfer that have not been paid within 7 days will be returned back to stock and your order cancelled. We will email you the day/day after you order to check how you would like to pay.
Pre-orders are a great way of getting the outfit you love before they go out of stock..and you know they will, they always do when you want something.
Pre-orders work in 2 ways you can either pay in full or pay 25% upfront
If paying by 25% deposit please read on....(coupon code PSW15) THIS IS A DEPOSIT CODE NOT DISCOUNT
Upon reciept of your pre order 25% will be charged. When the items arrive in stock the remaining 75% will be invoiced to you via paypal or nochex.
After 1 week, if payment has not been received Poppydoll will contact you reminding you for payment to be made within 3-5 days. If payment stil has not been received by this time the transaction will become Void, and the items will go back into stock, and the deposit sent to you by coupon voucher.
THIS DOES NOT AFFECT YOUR STATUTORY RIGHTS
Payment plans are available on full priced stock. A non refundable deposit of 25% is taken as a deposit and a 6-8 week payment plan with regular installments can be tailored to suit you. Payment plans are only valid on orders above £50
Failure to communicate or make regular payments may result in items being put back into stock and your order becoming void and cancelled.
Any returns on Payment plan will be EXCHANGE ONLY
Please check your order on arrival and report any errors by email within 3 days.
Returns on payment plan are only valid for exchange or credit note ONLY. Special orders are NON refundable
Items must be unworn with all labels attached in their original packaging, odour free, folded neatly and in the same condition as received. (A £5 pressing charge may be deducted from the return total if this procedure is not followed)
Shoes and boxed items must be returned in the original boxes not marked and intact. Please DO NOT use the box as protective packaging. If boxes are damaged a 20% deduction will be taken off the return total.
We do request that all items be returned with 14 days of receipt with this form attached via a tracked method. Refunds may take upto 7 days to be processed and credit notes will be issued online via email.
Items purchased over 50% reduction are exchange or credit note ONLY
17 High Street
It is the CUSTOMERS RESPONSIBILITY to ensure that the return reaches us in the condition stated above and have arranged and paid for delivery. We would advise you to ensure that all returned items are sent via insured postage/delivery, as we will NOT be held responsible for returned parcels that are lost in the post.
We will not accept ANY parcels returned without the postage costs being paid.
Once a returned item is received and checked that it meeds the above conditions, the refund will processed with 7 working days. We can only refund by the same method the original payment was made. We will then email you to confirm our acceptance of the return and notification of the refund.
We have taken every care in the preparation of the material on our Site. However, the material displayed on our Site is provided without any guarantees, conditions or warranties as to its accuracy or suitability for any particular purpose.
If the need arises, we may suspend access to our Site to carry out routine or emergency work. We will not be responsible if for any reason our Site is unavailable.
We reserve the right to cancel an order with immediate affect if there has been a mistake on our website. We will inform you prior to doing this via telephone of email. The refund will be returned by the method you paid and the contract between yourself as the customer and Poppydoll cancelled.
These limitations and exclusions do not affect your statutory rights and only apply to the extent permitted by applicable law. Nothing in these T&Cs shall limit our liability for personal injury or death caused by our negligence.